Bus service questionnaire
Many thanks to the many residents who responded to our survey which sought views on the bus service for Ratho residents. The Community Council is very grateful to all who took the time to contribute to this exercise.
Results of the survey:
- Want a direct service to City Centre ~ 100%
- Preferred route via A8 through Corstorphne ~ 92%
- Preferred route A71 via Sighthill ~ 8%.
- In addition a circular route serving Gyle, Sighthill & Riccarton ~ 40%
- Circular route giving access to St John’s/Livingston shopping ~ 10%
Two Community Councillors met the City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) to make the case for an improved bus service to the village, using the results of our survey as the basis for the discussion.
It was confirmed that
- when the trams begin the Ratho bus will no longer go to the Park & Ride at Ingliston but will terminate at the Gyle.
- the Park & Ride will be served by the No 35 and the Tram only.
- unless the chosen bus operator is Lothian Buses there will be no through ticketing. This will involve increased travel costs for many Ratho residents.
- even if Lothian Buses are the sole operator, separate tickets may be required for any onward connection when travelling into town.
- the arrangements for a service for Ratho will need changed.
- No decisions have been yet taken by CEC in respect of supported bus services or possible routes.
- CEC want the Ratho bus route to serve the Climbing Centre and the proposed new CALA housing at Craigpark.